Saturday, February 5, 2011

For the Love of Turtles....

I recall seeing the red and gold boxes of Turtle Candy in the grocery store...never paid much attention though.  Whether I was zoning the image of the chocolate-pecan-caramel tidbits out of my mind so as not to be tempted or perhaps, fancying myself a chocolate snob, I never purchased the candies.

Along came an episode of Everybody Hates Chris  where the Mom takes to hiding boxes of her Turtles from everyone  and while watching her face as she bites into the candy, well, kind of got me curious.

I still didn't buy the candy, but saw that Chex Mix was offering a "Turtle" Flavor.  And I did buy that.  Well, it was delicious.  So delicious that I ate my first bag all by myself in one sitting.  I suddenly understood what Chris' mother's deal was in hiding her candies from the family.  I understood the look on her face.  I bought a second bag and repeated my really selfish Turtle behavior. 

Mustering up all the will power I could, I decided I would not buy Turtle Chex mix ever again. 

Then earlier in the week, in reviewing my emails, there was a February newsletter from Gooseberry Patch.  It's a wonderful little chatty email, with articles, quaint artwork, sometime crafty projects and usually a couple of recipes.  One of the recipes, which I will share below, is for Tiny Turtle Cupcakes.  Sounds delicious, looks very easy, so when I went to the grocery store this week, I bought the few ingredients necessary to make a batch of these babies!  The recipe is from 101 Cupcake, Cookie & Brownie Recipes.  The cookbook is available for sale through http://www.gooseberrypatch.com/ and you can sign up for the newsletter there, too!

Tiny Turtle Cupcakes

21 1/2 oz package brownie mix
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
16 oz container dark chocolate fudge frosting
1/2 cup pecans, toasted & coarsely chopped

Prepare brownie mix according to package directions.  stir in the chopped pecans.  Fill paper lined mini muffin cups 2/3 full.  Bake at 350 degrees for 18 minutes or until a toothpick tests clean.  Cool cupcakes in tins on wire racks for 5 minutes.  Remove from tins; finish cooling completely.  Frost cupcakes; top with toasted pecans.  Spoon caramel sauce evenly over cupcakes.  store in refrigerator.  Makes about 4 1/2 dozen.

Caramel Sauce

12 caramels, unwrapped
1 to 2 Tab whipping cream

Combine caramels and one tablespoon cream in small saucepan; cook and stir over low heat until smooth.  Add remaining cream as needed for the desired consistency.




(Oh, and, I did buy a bag of Turtle Chex too....)

Enjoy!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment