Sunday, July 15, 2012

Lasagna Soup, Cookbooks and Stevie Wonder!

Way back in the day, when I was first on my own as a newlywed, I am sorry to say that I did not have much talent in the kitchen.  While my Mother still remains a fabulous cook at nearly age 85, I know I could have learned so much from her while I was still living at home, but I just didn't have the interest back then.  As a result of my lack of culinary knowledge, there were many not-so-successful attempts at meal planning and the actual preparation thereof.

My first lasagna became "lasagna soup".  I remember there being a lot of hamburger based meals. And, we went out.  A lot.   As time went on, I started copying Mom's recipes and my cooking improved.  By the time we moved into our first home, I was a much better cook.  Happily, I discovered the plethora of cookbooks at the local public library.  I started checking out several cookbooks each visit, along with my regular reading.  Eventually, I had quite a collection of recipes from these borrowed books and also started collecting used cookbooks from tag sales.

Fast forward many years later to my current library in CT.  As I was looking for the book, "Blood, Bones and Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef" by Gabrielle Hamilton and I very happily rediscovered the 640 section of the Dewey system......lots and lots of cookbooks; perhaps thousands and  I rekindled my old habit of checking out cookbooks.  My stash of recipes is enormous, so this latest round of reading cookbooks is for pure pleasure only, though I will happily to add to my collection!

I thought that perhaps Annie's Sweet Tooth might be a good venue to chat about my findings and hear of your recommendations! 

"Morning Food" by Margaret S. Fox, former owner of Cafe Beaujolais on Mendocino's coast and John Bear is an interesting yet not too surprising collection of breakfast and brunch recipes.  Being a bready type breakfast person, I gravitated toward the muffin and coffeecake recipes first.

The first recipe which gives me pause and a watering mouth was "Mocha Walnut Wonder Muffins", invented by party planner Anni Amberger in honor of  Stevie Wonder.  Key ingredients: black coffee, cocoa, walnuts and chocolate chips!  I think I will be adding this recipe to my stash.

The "Morning Glory Muffins" are made with carrots, apples, coconuts and pecans; the last Morning Glory recipe I saved was made with zucchini;  will have to search that out and compare!

Among the coffee cakes which stood out is "Rachel's Version of the Anchorage Petroleum Wives Club Coffee Cake" (a mouthful!) which has a yeasted  batter including cream cheese. (Already I love it!)  The recipe offers a choice of two fillings - Apricot Almond or Prune Pecan.  Yes! Yes! Yes!

Among the recipes which I keep thinking about is the Cherry Omelet.  Eggs, sugar, vanilla extract and some butter;  sour cream and chopped cherries added when eggs are set; fold and serve.  It is probably very tasty...I will try this!

There are many, many recipes including quite a few brunch appropriate options.  This is Margaret Fox's second edition of  "Morning Food".  If you are a morning food (aka breakfast) foodie, check out for this cookbook! 

No comments:

Post a Comment